Facebook Twitter

Propane torch ignites fire in basement of S.L. home

SHARE Propane torch ignites fire in basement of S.L. home

A propane torch being used for heat in a basement bedroom appears to be the cause of a fire that resulted in major damage to a home in eastern Salt Lake County, said Capt. Bill Brass of the Salt Lake County Fire Department.

A woman and her five children were asleep in their home at 1076 E. Bell Meadows Way (6010 South), when the fire broke out at about 5:30 a.m. Saturday, Brass said. Apparently, a 22-year-old man - the oldest of the woman's children - was using a propane torch to warm himself when he fell asleep, Brass said. The torch ignited the man's bedding and quickly spread to the rest of the basement.The fire department responded with several engines, trucks and rescue crews to the residence. Brass said it took 20 firefighters more than 45 minutes to contain the blaze.

The woman and her children, ages 10, 12, 14, 18, and 22, escaped without injury, Brass said. One firefighter was taken to Cottonwood Hospital, where he was treated for heat trauma and released.

Brass estimated about $60,000 damage to the home, but the estimate was expected to rise. He said the fire damaged the entire basement, as well as one room on the upper level of the home. There is also extensive smoke damage.

The incident is still under investigation.