Francis Ford Coppola hopes the $80 million he has been awarded in his lawsuit against Warner Bros. will change some things in the movie-making business.
Coppola, who already had been awarded $20 million in compensatory damages, was granted another $60 million in punitive damages Thursday in his 1995 lawsuit that accused Warner Bros. of stealing his screenplay for a feature-length "Pinocchio" film."Warner Bros. has traditionally not treated its creative people well," Coppola said. "Hopefully, this will teach them to treat creative people as an asset, not as serfs."
The studio said the latest award was "simply ludicrous." A Warner Bros. spokeswoman said the studio would appeal.
Coppola, director of the "Godfather" trilogy, said the studio thwarted his dream by threatening to sue any other studio that tried to produce the project, which it eventually dropped.