A planning group called Envision Utah wants public opinion about how Utah should develop as the state's population grows in coming decades.
Residents throughout the Wasatch Front are asked to participate in a series of workshops, the results of which will be used to help generate three options, or scenarios, for growth in the densely populated area of Utah that is tucked against the Wasatch Mountains.The first set of workshops is Wednesday:
- Central City Community Center, 615 S. 300 East, 7:30-9:30 p.m. Call 535-7759 with questions.
- Riverton Community Center, 12875 Redwood Road, 6 to 8 p.m. Call 568-7250 with questions.
"Where should we grow?" asks a glossy flier announcing the event.
The workshops, planned from Nephi to Brigham City, will place people in groups of 10 around large maps of their own communities. Participants will identify lands to be preserved and decide where to place chips that represent the populations projected in 2020 and 2050.
"It's important for us and we hope important for members of the public," said Kevin Bommer, local government coordinator for Envision Utah, which is organizing the huge growth project.
Officials also believe the exercise will help people understand how hard planning can be.
The flier is specific - "Everyone is welcome to participate in the Regional Design Workshops. However, due to the cost and time required to produce the materials, space is limited to those who reserve a place in advance."
Participants must register three days in advance for the 10 workshops, located at community centers, city halls and schools scattered throughout the Wasatch Front.
Workshops will be held in the following locations:
- July 14. Heber Valley. Senior Citizen Center, 90 N. 100 West, Heber City, 6-8 p.m., call 654-4830.
- July 15. Western Salt Lake County. West Valley City Hall, 3600 S. Constitution Blvd., West Valley City, 6-8 p.m., call 963-3286 to RSVP.
- July 15. Southern Utah County. Spanish Fork Fire Station, 370 N. Main, Spanish Fork, 7-9 p.m. Call 798-5000.
- July 16. Utah County. Lindon City Center, 100 N. State, Lindon, 7-9 p.m. Call 785-7687.
- July 16. Davis County. Woods Cross Elementary School, 745 W. 1100 South, Woods Cross, 6:30-8:30 p.m. Call 292-4421.
- July 21. Davis County. Layton City Council chambers, 437 N. Wasatch Drive, Layton, 7-9 p.m. Call 546-8524.
- July 22. Brigham City area. Brigham City Community Center, 24 N. 300 West, 7-9 p.m. Call 734-2001, ext. 203.
- July 27. Park City area. Park City High School Cafeteria, 1750 Kearns Blvd., 6-8 p.m. Call 615-5063.
- July 28. Nephi area. Juab County Courthouse, 160 N. Main, Nephi, 7-9 p.m. Call 623-2411.
- July 29. Provo/Orem area. Provo Marriott Hotel, 101 W. 100 North, 7-9 p.m. Call 852-6412.
- July 29. Tooele County. Tooele County Courthouse, 47 S. Main, 7-9 p.m. Call 843-3160.
- July 30. Morgan County. Morgan County Courthouse, 48 W. Young St., 7-9 p.m. Call 829-3461.
- July 30. Weber County. Ogden Egyptian Center, 2415 Washington Blvd., 7-9 p.m. Call 629-8901.