DRAPER -- Residents from four homes were evacuated Friday as a bomb squad removed dynamite from a garage.

The explosives were found near some potassium cyanide pellets, which made the situation dangerous for the bomb crew, Salt Lake County Fire Capt. Bill Brass said."If the cyanide were to vaporize, it would be very deadly," he said. "By itself, it would burn your skin."

The incident began when a man found dynamite while cleaning his late father's garage at 13014 S. 1300 East, Brass said. "The dynamite becomes extremely dangerous when you try to move it," he said.

The bomb squad took the dynamite -- which turned out to be only one stick -- to a remote location and destroyed it. The families in the four nearby houses were allowed to return home about 9 p.m., Brass said.

"We treat it the same whether it's one stick or 24."

The neighborhood was once a farming community. The dynamite was probably used to free packed soil, Brass said. The cyanide was used to kill rats. No one was injured.