Facebook Twitter

S.L. fourplex fire causes $100,000 in damage

SHARE S.L. fourplex fire causes $100,000 in damage

An unattended candle likely started a fire at a Salt Lake City fourplex Saturday that displaced four families and caused $100,000 in damage.

A Salt Lake water employee suffered minor burns when he attempted to dart into one of the units to warn residents.Firefighters responded to the blaze at 968 N. Cornell St. (1550 West) about 1:10 p.m. after the city worker drove by the building and spotted smoke and flames.

The man opened the door of the top-left unit of the split-level fourplex and received minor burns from the heat. Fortunately, there was no one home at that unit, where the fire is believed to have started, said Salt Lake City Fire Capt. Devin Villa.

Three other families living in the adjoining units discovered the fire at about the same time and ran out of the building unharmed, Villa said.

When crews arrived there was smoke and flames billowing out of the top two units. Firefighters executed a transitional attack -- dousing the fire from the outside before moving inside the building.

Investigators believe Saturday's blaze was started by an unattended candle sitting on a coffee table in the kitchen/

living room area of the top-left unit.

The displaced residents are expected to get help with lodging from family members and the Red Cross, Villa said.