clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

S.L. man is guilty of retaliation rape

A 3rd District jury found a Capitol Hill man guilty Friday of raping his former girlfriend in retaliation for testifying against him in another case.

At the conclusion of a five-day trial, the jury deliberated about five hours before finding Mark A. Evans, 32, guilty of aggravated sexual assault and aggravated robbery, first-degree felonies, and failure to respond to an officer's signal to stop, a third-degree felony.The same jury found Evans not guilty of a second count of aggravated sexual assault and charges of theft and tampering with a witness, second-degree felonies.

Judge William Thorne could order Evans to serve up to life in prison at his sentencing, set for Aug. 2.

The victim testified Monday and Tuesday that Evans, her former boyfriend of six years, had tied her to her bed with nylons and raped her at her home on Jan. 18. Four days earlier, the woman had testified during a preliminary hearing that Evans had broken into her house and stolen her VCR.

Evans told her before he raped her he "was going to give me a reason to go to court, not just for a $200 VCR," she said. "He told me he was going to rape me, steal my car, take all my money."

The woman, who broke down several times during questioning from both prosecutor Susan Hunt and defense attorney Scott Williams, said after Evans raped her, he took her ATM card from her purse and drove off in her car.

The woman called 911, and police chased Evans as he tried to flee in her car. He was apprehended after crashing into a parked vehicle.

During cross examination, Williams tried to point out discrepancies in the stories the victim gave to police and in court. He questioned her on how she was tied up to the bed, and whether she struggled to free herself during the assault.

Williams also pointed out that despite a court order restricting contact between Evans and the woman, she repeatedly chose to call and meet him. The night before she was raped, the woman took Evans to her house because he wanted to see her dogs, she said.

But Hunt told the five-man, four-woman jury that Evans continued to pursue the victim despite her repeated attempts to end their romantic involvement.

The woman testified Evans sent her flowers at her work the day he raped her. She also said Evans called her six or seven times that day to see if she'd received the flowers and what she thought of them.

That night, she was in the bathtub when Evans knocked on her door, she said. She let him into the living room and went to put on some clothes. When she returned, she said he was sitting with her cordless phone in his hands. He told her he'd been watching her to make sure she hadn't called the police that day.

Evans then told her "he was going to give me a reason to take him to court," the woman said. She told Evans her father was coming, hoping he would leave, but he ordered her into the bedroom tied her to the bed and raped her, she said.