Making rock candy (A fun activity for kids)You will need:
1 large heavy pan
1 metal tablespoon
1 baking pan with sides lined with foil
1 candy thermometer
3 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups Karo syrup
1 cup water
1 teaspoon favorite candy flavoring (can be purchased at drugstore)
Food coloring of choice
1. Put sugar, Karo syrup and water into the saucepan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved, constantly stirring with the tablespoon.
2. Bring to a boil and cook, without stirring, until the temperature reaches 310 degrees F.
3. Remove from heat and add candy flavoring and food coloring.
4. Pour mixture onto a foil-lined baking pan.
5. Immediately remove foil from baking pan by sliding the pan out from under it. Pour powdered sugar into pan.
6. As mixture cools, cut with scissors and place in powdered sugar.
NOTE: This activity requires boiling sugar. Please -- when you make the candy, have an adult handy. -- Kidscandy