clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Police briefs

Judge sentences 20-year-old to 9 months for bat beating

The man who admitted to hitting 17-year-old Darby Golub in the head with a baseball bat before Golub was shot, has been sentenced to nine months in jail.Dustin Symes, 21, pleaded guilty to aggravated assault, a third-degree felony, for his part in the Jan. 6, 1999 brawl that ended when Russell Bisner, 20, took Golub's gun and shot Golub, 19, in the head in a Smith's store parking lot at 2039 E. 9400 South in Sandy. A 3rd District jury convicted Bisner of murder and aggravated robbery, both first-degree felonies. Bisner is serving two consecutive five-years-to-life prison terms.

Judge Homer Wilkinson could have sent Symes to prison for up to five years. Instead, he imposed the reduced jail time, plus a $5,000 fine, $200 in attorney fees and three years probation.

Man tries to run over officer after getting parking ticket

What started out as a traffic infraction ended up as a felony assault after police say a motorist tried to run over a Salt Lake City police officer.

The confrontation started at 10 a.m. Tuesday in the parking lot of the 7-Eleven, 219 S. 1300 East, where the officer was parked. She noticed a man park his car next to her.

The report said he parked his car in the handicapped stall next to the officer, looked right at her and then entered the store to make a purchase. After she looked at his car to determine if there were any handicap parking decals, she began writing him a ticket.

That action made him angry. He jumped in his car and turned the engine on.

The officer said yelled at him to wait, but he accelerated in reverse. The officer's hand was still on the trunk when he backed up. She said she had to push herself out of the way of the moving car and ended up with a sprained wrist, the report said. An off-duty Salt Lake police detective spotted the suspect car on Beck Street headed north after there was a police broadcast on the aggravated assault.

Although officers tried to stop the car, the motorist did not pull over until Centerville.

The 36-year-old man was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of aggravated assault on a police officer.

Police arrest driver who was following 2 girls

Police have arrested a man they said made repeated attempts to pick up two young girls, following them in his car as they were running down the street Monday evening.

At one point, he put his vehicle in reverse and turned his car to follow them after they failed to approach his vehicle.

The girls, ages 11 and 12, got a plate number on the car, which led police to a man's residence. A police report said he admitted following the girls and that he said he was only looking "to make a friend."

Police say the incident started about 6 p.m. in the parking lot of a convenience store at 300 West and 800 North. When the girls walked out of the business, the man was parked in a car. He motioned for them to come over, and when they didn't, he started following them. The girls went to one of their homes, ate dinner and hoped the man would leave so they could go to the other girl's house. The report said he continued to follow them.

When officers searched the man's car, they found several pairs of rubber gloves and a black stocking cap. Both girls picked him out of a lineup at the police station, the report said.

Officers, after consultation with a representative from the district attorney's office, booked the 22-year-old man into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of two counts of attempted kidnapping.

Man shoots pit bull to death after it attacked him, his dog

A man trying to ward off a pit bull attack on his springer spaniel tried a baseball bat and was bit before he turned a shotgun on the pit bull.

The fatal shooting occurred at 9:45 p.m. Monday in the 900 North block of Cornell Street where the owner heard his pit bull fighting with a neighbor's dog.

He heard a gunshot, went outside and found his dog dead in the driveway.

When officers arrived, the owner of the spaniel said he shot the dog because it was attacking his dog. A police report said he tried to hit the dog with a bat, but that effort didn't stop the attack. He said he retrieved his shotgun, held it close to the dog and fired.

Both dog owners were cited with having a loose dog. The owner of the spaniel was cited for discharging a firearm in the city limits. He suffered bites in the attack and had to take his dog to the vet for its injuries.

Police seized the firearm because it was not registered.

Murray man is charged in fatal motorcycle wreck

A Murray man has been charged with automobile homicide, a second-degree felony, stemming from a fatal motorcycle accident last August.

The man, 23, was driving the motorcycle on Aug. 25 about 11 p.m. when he failed to navigate a corner at 10680 S. Auto Mall Drive and rolled the bike, Sandy Police Sgt. Kevin Thacker said.

Jason Erickson, 28, Sandy, was a passenger on the motorcycle and later died at LDS Hospital from injuries sustained in the accident. Neither man was wearing a helmet, and the driver was also taken by medical helicopter to LDS Hospital, Thacker said.

Blood tests showed the driver's blood alcohol content was .08, the legal limit in Utah, charges filed Monday in 3rd District Court state. Witnesses told police they saw the motorcycle traveling between 60 to 70 mph in the 30-mph zone, the charges state.

Bail was set at $10,000 and, if convicted, the man could face up to 15 years in prison.

Trio robs man at gunpoint after pushing way into home

A Salt Lake man had his rent money taken from him at gunpoint after three men forced their way into his apartment.

One robber ordered an accomplice to shoot the victim if he moved while the others searched his apartment.

A S.L. police report said the home-invasion robbery happened at 5 p.m. Monday near 100 North and 200 West. The victim heard someone knocking on the doors of other apartments, and when he answered the knock at his own door, the trio, who were unknown to the victim, said they were looking for someone. They then burst in.

As one man headed toward a back room where a woman was sleeping, one robber told his partner to shoot the victim if he moved.