BELGRADE, Yugoslavia — A Yugoslav minister said on Saturday foes of President Slobodan Milosevic, ranging from the U.S. secretary of state to domestic opponents, were behind the shooting of a key Serbian opposition leader.

Ivan Markovic, federal telecommunication minister, told Tanjug news agency that Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, Montenegro's president and Serbia's student-based protest movement Otpor all had a hand in Thursday's attack.

Vuk Draskovic, a leader of the Serbian Renewal Movement, was hurt when gunmen opened fire through a window of his flat in the Montenegrin sea resort of Budva.

"Madeleine Albright, Milo Djukanovic and Otpor terrorists decided to publicly support Vuk Draskovic in his intention to end his annual vacation," Markovic said. It was the first official reaction to the shooting from Belgrade.

Draskovic suffered light head injuries and left hospital after treatment, accusing Milosevic and the Serbian government of being behind the attack.

"It is sure they did it, and it is also sure that if someone wanted to liquidate me, the government of Serbia had the information beforehand," Draskovic said on Friday.

Otpor issued a statement denying Markovic's accusations.

"We regret very much that Ivan Markovic thinks the attempt on Vuk Draskovic's life is a joke and makes fun of it, but that is only to be expected of (the Yugoslav government) as they even celebrated Serbia's defeat in Kosovo," Otpor activist Vukasin Petrovic was quoted as saying by independent Beta news agency. "Of course Otpor did not take part in preparing and executing the attempt on the life of Vuk Draskovic...We all know very well who provoked wars in the past 10 years and who murdered, beat and jailed his political opponents," he said, in a reference to Milosevic.

Montenegrin police said late on Friday they had detained the gunmen and their accomplices and knew who had ordered the shooting. Police also said the detained people had come from Serbian territory after Draskovic arrived in Montenegro.

Two state security bosses fired

Montenegrin pro-government daily Vijesti said that state security chiefs in Budva and the nearby town of Bar had been sacked following the attack on Draskovic, and that two other police chiefs would also be sacked.

Vukasin Maras, Montenegro's interior minister, offered his resignation on Friday, saying he felt personally responsible for the attack on Draskovic.

Maras said the shooting as well as the killing of Djukanovic's security adviser Zoran Zugic two weeks ago showed police had to be aware that "the terror from Belgrade will be transferred to Montenegro."

Markovic, also the secretary of the Directorate of the Yugoslav Left led by Milosevic's wife, said: "Madeleine, Milo and Otpor think that it is not fair that Vuk is taking his vacation while they are attacking Yugoslavia without a break."

Djukanovic, a prominent Milosevic opponent, has edged his Western-leaning republic away from dominant Serbia and even threatened to secede if Belgrade ignored his demands for economic and democratic reforms within the federation.

Beta news agency said Djukanovic, Maras and the Prime Minister Filip Vujanovic visited Draskovic in Budva on Saturday.

The United States which openly supports Djukanovic's anti-Milosevic policy, but, fearing a violent response from Milosevic has also warned him against a rush to independence, said on Friday it took Draskovic's allegations seriously.

"We do take seriously the statements by Draskovic and by the Montenegrin government that assigned blame to Belgrade, but I don't have any independent information for you," State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said in Washington.

The attack on Draskovic drew condemnation from the European Union and Russia, regarded by Milosevic as one of his last allies.