Facebook Twitter

4 escape house fire; may be gang-related

SHARE 4 escape house fire; may be gang-related

KEARNS — Four people escaped injury from a house fire started after a Molotov cocktail was thrown through the living room window just after midnight Sunday morning.

The one-alarm fire torched the living room of the home, 5937 S. 4990 West, and left the rest of the structure with smoke damage, said Salt Lake County Fire Capt. Bill Brass.

Authorities believe the fire to be gang-related, Brass said.

"Four adults were in the home at the time," Brass said. "They heard a crash and they didn't think anything of it. Then their smoke detector started going off, so they went to investigate, and their living room was on fire."

One resident tried to put out the blaze with a garden hose, and Salt Lake County fire crews arrived and had the fire under control in 20 minutes, Brass said.

Brass estimated total damage to the house at around $25,000.