Facebook Twitter

Ute QB Arceneaux arrested

SHARE Ute QB Arceneaux arrested

Utah football coach Ron McBride is still on vacation this week, and he said he will deal more specifically with the arrest of one of his two starting quarterbacks, Darnell Arceneaux, when he has all the facts. For now, said McBride, Arceneaux will not face any suspension from the football program.

Arceneaux, 22, was arrested in Waikiki, Hawaii, on an outstanding court warrant for an unpaid 4-year-old traffic ticket following an incident at a nightclub early Sunday, in which he was also accused of abuse of a household member, who will apparently not press charges against him.

Arceneaux, of Honolulu, a senior-to-be for the Utes, reportedly thought the traffic fine had been paid by his mother.

McBride said that, for now, he will take no action against the player. "Not until I know more about it," McBride said. "They didn't charge him with anything except a four-year-old moving violation."

McBride said he spent much of the day Monday on the phone about the incident. He said he spoke with Arceneaux, who is now in Utah and who called him from assistant coach Tommy Lee's office.

"I've been talking with other people today," McBride added. "I'm sure this will be resolved. At this point, I'm not concerned."

The Honolulu Star-Bulletin said Monday that Arceneaux is scheduled to appear at a district court July 24, but Utah sports information director Liz Abel said Arceneaux hopes to handle the case from Salt Lake City. She said it is her understanding that a female involved in the abuse incident will not press charges. Arceneaux was released at 3:50 a.m. Sunday after posting $1,000 bail for each of the two counts against him stemming from a 1:50 a.m. disturbance call at the Hawaiian Regent's Eurasia nightclub, according to the Star-Bulletin.

Arceneaux's younger brother, Anthony, is still facing legal action for his role as one of three players involved in a March on-campus theft-and-forgery incident, but he was suspended from playing football at least a year by the Student Behavior Committee in May. The younger Arceneaux can still attend school and may play football again in a year, but legal action and discipline by the athletic department are still pending.

E-MAIL: lham@desnews.com