Facebook Twitter

Profiles of bid leaders

SHARE Profiles of bid leaders

Tom Welch

Age: 55

Olympic history: An Ogden native, Welch is a former student body president of Weber State University. Prior to his work for the bid, he was corporate attorney for Smith's Food & Drug. For a decade he worked as an unpaid volunteer on the campaign to bring both the 1998 Winter Games and then the 2002 Winter Games to Salt Lake City.

After winning the bid in 1995, he began receiving a salary of $315,000 per year, later increased to $325,000 per year, as president of the Salt Lake Organizing Committee.

He resigned from SLOC in July 1997 after being charged with a class B misdemeanor, domestic violence battery, in an assault on his wife, Alma. He pleaded no contest to the charge. The couple later divorced.

After his resignation, Welch initially was to receive a $1 million payment from SLOC for his years of leading the bid effort without compensation plus $10,000 a month as a consultant in addition to $500,000 in retirement benefits. After the compensation package was widely criticized, Welch voluntarily gave up the $1 million payment.

SLOC ended his monthly $10,000 consulting payments and cut off his $500,000 in retirement benefits in January 1999 after the bribery scandal surfaced.

What he does now: Welch remarried last year and now lives with his wife in Huntington Beach, Calif. He also has a home in the Park City area.

Dave Johnson

Age: 41

Olympic history: A Salt Lake City native and University of Utah graduate, Johnson became involved in the Olympic bid effort in the mid-1980s. As vice president of the Salt Lake Bid Committee, he played a major role in fund raising and playing host to members of the International Olympic Committee during bids to bring the 1998 and later the 2002 Winter Games to Salt Lake City.

In 1995, Johnson became a vice president for the Salt Lake Organizing Committee.

A former car salesman for SLOC chairman Robert Garff's auto dealerships, Johnson is a past director of sport development for the state's Community and Economic Development Office and headed the Utah Sports Foundation.

It was a letter from Johnson to the daughter of an IOC member regarding a tuition payment, a copy of which was leaked to a Salt Lake television station, that led to widespread news reports about the bribery scandal beginning in November 1998.

Less than two months after the scandal surfaced, he resigned from SLOC on Jan. 8, 1999, along with SLOC President and CEO Frank Joklik. At the time, Johnson was making about $200,000 a year.

What he does now: Johnson continues to live in the Salt Lake area with his wife, Kim Johnson, a morning news anchor at KSL-TV. While not employed full time, he is currently working on a small residential real estate project.