Facebook Twitter

50-year birthday festivity planned for DUP museum

SHARE 50-year birthday festivity planned for DUP museum

The International Society of the Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum is 50 years old. A birthday party is planned from 1 to 5 p.m. Monday, July 24, at the museum, 300 N. Main.

Tours, prizes, games and birthday cake are all planned as part of the celebration, to which the public is invited. Those visiting the museum and the adjoining Carriage House will have a chance, for example, to see the wagon that carried Brigham Young across the Plains to Utah.

Records show that the DUP had a relic display as early as 1903. The first relic hall was established in the old LDS Tithing Office on South Temple and Main, the site of the present Joseph Smith Memorial Building and former Hotel Utah. In 1915 the display was moved to Temple Square, and in 1919 the Daughters were given space in the state Capitol building.

"Our dream of the memorial seemed real. We pictured a magnificent building that told in every line, wall, pillar and feature our Utah history. We were tired of shifting about and wanted a building of our own," according to Flora B. Horne, former custodian of the organization's relics.

Plans for a building were presented in 1936. Members decided that a triangular-shaped lot at the top of Main Street was the place where a museum should be built. The target date for completion of the building was the centennial year, 1947. Business firms, industries, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and individuals were contacted for contributions. The response was overwhelming, DUP officers say. Construction of the museum was completed in 1950. The building was dedicated in July 1950. Kate B. Carter was president at the time and served many years after that.