Facebook Twitter

Cases of eatery poisonings in Milwaukee rise to 13

SHARE Cases of eatery poisonings in Milwaukee rise to 13

MILWAUKEE (AP) —The number of confirmed cases of food poisoning stemming from a restaurant rose to 13, health officials said Thursday.

City Health Commissioner Seth Foldy said officials were still investigating the exact source of the E. coli bacteria and how it got into the Sizzler Restaurant.

Of the 13 people who had confirmed cases of bacteria, six had symptoms that suggested serious intestinal infection, Foldy said.

Sizzler USA's chief executive officer, Thomas Metzger, traveled to Milwaukee Thursday. He visited some of the ill, met with health officials and the local franchise owner, company spokeswoman Marina Ein said.

"My personal prayers and the prayers of all Sizzler associates are with the people of Milwaukee who have been touched by this tragedy," Metzger said in a statement.

So far, food items tested at the restaurant did not contain E. coli. The restaurant has been closed temporarily.