Facebook Twitter

Idahoan burned when home explodes

SHARE Idahoan burned when home explodes

POCATELLO (AP) — A man was taken to the Intermountain Burn Center in Salt Lake City after his home exploded, apparently after some gasoline ignited.

The victim, who remains unidentified, was inside the house on Sunday when it ignited.

"The whole house lifted off the foundation," said neighbor Sharon Wolfe.

"Then a kid came out screaming. He scaled the fence and started ripping his clothes off."

The young man, whom Wolfe described as between 18 and 20, reportedly was the home's sole occupant. The house structure shattered and caused a brief but violent fire. The house still stood, but the left wall leaned out, resting on a fence.

"There's a tremendous amount of structural damage," said Ben Estes, Pocatello Fire Department division chief.

"All the walls moved, all the heating ducts were blown apart. It looks even worse inside."

Estes said a mere two gallons of gasoline could have caused the explosion. He was not sure how much actually was in the basement on Sunday.

Police and fire detectives continued to investigate the explosion.