LOS ANGELES (AP) — A member of a television production crew working on an episode of the hit television series "The X-Files" was electrocuted and six others were injured Monday when an electrical line sent a 4,800-volt charge through the scaffold they were using.
"It charged the entire scaffolding," Fire Department spokesman Jim Wells said. Six people were standing on the scaffolding, and a seventh person was on the ground, he said.
It was not clear how the power line came into contact with the scaffolding, which was set up 15 feet above the ground at the back of a three-story apartment building, Wells said.
The crew was working on the season premiere of "The X-Files," the series about the paranormal produced by 20th Century Fox, said Steven Melnick, the studio's vice president of media relations.
Melnick identified the man killed as Jim Engh. Melnick said he did not know his age or how long he had worked for the show. Engh had been on the scaffolding.
A second person was hospitalized in serious condition.