Facebook Twitter

Man recovering from burns after $250,000 house fire

SHARE Man recovering from burns after $250,000 house fire

A 52-year-old man is recovering in the University Hospital Burn Unit from second- and third-degree burns over 30 percent of his body. The homeowner was burned after an explosion and fire roared through his house.

Salt Lake County Fire Capt. Bill Brass said the man admitted to starting a fire at 2032 E. Sabal Ave. (7750 South.)

The man's wife and two LDS Church missionaries who were living in the couple's basement got out safely.

Brass said neighbors heard an explosion before they saw fire. "The neighbors across the street said the explosion rattled their windows," he said.

Investigators said the man doused his study area with gasoline. Damage to the home is estimated at $250,000.

The homeowner told firefighters he was having family problems, Brass said.