PAGE, Arizona — Two brothers drowned in Lake Powell after they apparently inhaled too much carbon monoxide.
National Park Service divers recovered the bodies of Logan Dixey, 8, and Dillon Dixey, 11, shortly before 6 a.m. Thursday in about 30 feet of water, according to the San Juan County Sheriff's Office.
The boys, from Parker, Colo., were last seen Wednesday at 9 p.m. in Neskahi Wash on the San Juan Arm of Lake Powell, according to a Park Service press release. Divers went down once Wednesday night to look for the boys, but darkness forced them to call off the search until Thursday morning, the release stated.
According to the Park Service, initial investigations show the boys were swimming at the rear of a houseboat, underneath the rear platform, when they disappeared. The boat's generator was running at the time, and carbon monoxide poisoning may be a factor in their deaths, the release stated.
The National Park Service is assisting the San Juan County Sheriff's Office with the investigation.