Do you have an unusual piece of junk? An object that has no possible use? Something that's been sitting around your house for years?
If so, it may be eligible for a prize.
Enter our "Worst Piece of Junk" contest.
Here are the rules:
1. Send us a letter or e-mail describing the item. If you have a photo, that would be even better. Also, tell us what it is, what purpose it once served, how you got it, how long you've had it and why you have kept it.
2. If your junk rises to the top of the heap, we may want to send a photographer to take a picture of you and your junk to publish in our paper.
3. Include your name, address and daytime telephone number and e-mail address (if you have one).
4. The grand prize winner will receive a check for $70, which, we might suggest, could be used to engage a housekeeping service. (That amount would cover the cost of three hours of housecleaning from South Salt Lake Merry Maids, for example.) The runners-up will each receive a check for $50 (the cost of two hours of housekeeping from Merry Maids).
5. Five honorable mentions will each receive an autographed copy of Don Aslett's latest book "Lose 200 Lbs. This Weekend."
6. Entries must be postmarked or e-mailed by April 19.
7. Mail your entries to Clutter Contest, Feature Department, P.O. Box 1257, Salt Lake City, UT 84111.
8. If you are sending your entry by e-mail, the address is firstname.lastname@example.org ; subject: clutter.
9. The decision by the judges is final.
10. One entry per family.