JERUSALEM — Israeli Foreign Minister Shimon Peres headed for United States early Monday after talks in Egypt and Jordan about a truce plan, but renewed violence between Israel and the Palestinians cast doubt on the prospects for peace.

On Sunday, Peres presented Israel's reservations to an Egyptian-Jordanian initiative for ending seven months of Palestinian-Israeli clashes. But he said there were hopes for a deal that could lead to resuming peace negotiations.

Interviewed on Israel television after talks in Cairo with Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, Peres said the Palestinians are beginning to grasp the concept that violence must stop before negotiations can resume.

"I see the beginning of a possibility of getting out of the present deadlock," said Peres, who later flew to New York to meet U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan on Monday. Peres, who briefed Prime Minister Ariel Sharon before leaving, is to meet with President Bush in Washington on Thursday.

The Palestinians blame Israel for the violence. Jordan's King Abdullah II told Peres that "ending the aggression and the use of force against the Palestinians and lifting the siege" is the only way to make progress, according to a statement from the king's office.

Since the latest Israeli-Palestinian fighting began last September, most of the 130,000 Palestinians who work in Israel have been barred from traveling to their jobs, strangling the economy in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

The Egyptian-Jordanian plan calls on both sides to take steps to halt violence. It calls on Israel to ease restrictions imposed on the Palestinians, pull forces back from the edge of Palestinian-controlled territory, release tax funds and stop construction in settlements.

After a cease-fire, peace talks would resume.

A statement issued by Sharon's office said Israel would "not hold any negotiations under fire, and stressed that there must be a total halt to terrorism in all its forms."

Sharon also said there must be a "trial period for the cessation of violence" before talks would begin, and Foreign Ministry spokesman Arieh Mekel said Israel wants the trial period to last two or three months — not the four weeks Mubarak mentioned.

Israel has objected to several other points in the plan but has agreed to discuss it.

Palestinian Information Minister Yasser Abed Rabbo said the Israelis should not try to make changes in the Arab plan.

"They should accept it or leave it," he said.

Meanwhile, violence persisted in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip.

Palestinians set off two bombs targeting Jewish settlers in the West Bank, and Israeli police located and safely set off a third bomb in the coastal city of Netanya.

A Palestinian was killed when the car he was driving exploded near Nablus, not far from an Israeli school bus that the Israeli army said he intended to blow up.

At the Jewish settlement of Kfar Darom in Gaza, Palestinians fired mortars but no one was injured. The two sides also traded fire at three locations in Gaza, wounding at least seven Palestinians, according to hospitals. An Israeli soldier was lightly wounded, the military said.

Abdel Aziz Rantisi, a leader of Islamic militant group Hamas was arrested by Palestinian police in Gaza. Palestinian officials gave no reason for the arrest and would not say if the move was part of an attempt by the Palestinian Authority to rein in militants.

Also, a Palestinian committee made up of various political factions that organized Palestinian actions during the uprising has been ordered to disband by the Palestinian leadership, the Arabic-language newspaper Al-Hayat al-Jadida reported.