Facebook Twitter

Fire on Y Mountain is contained

But crews are still battling a blaze near Cedar

SHARE Fire on Y Mountain is contained

PROVO — Crews contained the 525-acre fire on Y Mountain Tuesday night and Wednesday, dousing the last remaining dangerous wildfire in the northern part of state.

However, crews are fighting a blaze that erupted Sunday, about 40 miles northwest of Cedar City, estimated at 313 acres.

Four firefighting crews and one helicopter were expected to leave the scene of the "Y" fire on Wednesday, said Loyal Clark, spokeswoman for Uinta National Forest.

Reseeding was to begin Wednesday. Crews plan to first seed fire lines where vegetation was removed to stop the fire.

"We always start rehab very quickly," Clark said.

By Monday night, costs of the fire totaled $560,000, she added. The blaze is believed to be human-caused, and crews are still determining who started it.

Also human-caused is the blaze northwest of Cedar City.

"When we went out and investigated it, there were the remains of a campfire. That was the point of origin," said Anne Stanworth, Bureau of Land Management spokeswoman in Cedar City. It was contained Tuesday night but is not yet controlled. About 50 people are still fighting the fire, with a hand crew, a hotshot crew, an engine and a helicopter used for reconnaissance.

Illegal fireworks were blamed for a brush fire in Draper early Wednesday that burned to within 200 yards of several homes.

Crews were called just after 1 a.m. to an area near 16400 South Minuteman Drive (800 West). They arrived to find heavy fire being pushed by wind toward six houses, said Salt Lake County fire Capt. Jay Ziolkowski.

Firefighters from Salt Lake County and Sandy set up a perimeter around the homes. Their efforts were aided by the wind, which changed direction and pushed the fire back into itself, Ziolkowski said.

The fire was contained at 4:40 a.m. About 50 acres of shrubs and dry grass burned. No structures were damaged.

The Salt Lake County Sheriff's Office was questioning three men Wednesday morning about the fire.

And the Sandy Fire Department is offering a $1,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of whoever set a 100-acre fire in Dimple Dell Regional Park, 10600 South and 1300 East, last weekend.

The fire consumed dry brush and grass and threatened a number of houses, a shed and a trailer.

Six fire agencies and about 25 helicopter drops were used to fight the fire, said Sandy Fire Battalion Chief Greg Rynders. The cost of putting out the wildfire was more than $50,000, he said.

Anyone with information about the fire can call 840-4000.

Meanwhile, no other serious wildfires were reported in the state.

"The downside is they're predicting dry lightning for south and central Utah" on Wednesday, said Dave Dalrymple, state fire management coordinator. Lightning strikes are known for starting fires in dry conditions such as those that prevail throughout the state.

In other weather developments, elevated ozone levels prompted the Utah the Division of Air Quality to designate Wednesday as a "voluntary no-drive day."

Contributing: Pat Reavy