WEST VALLEY CITY — A man is recovering from injuries he received when fireworks exploded in his hands early Sunday.
The unidentified man, who is in his early 30s, received one laceration on his neck and several on his hands, West Valley fire Capt. Bob Fitzgerald said. He was flown by medical helicopter to University Hospital after the 1 a.m. explosion.
The man apparently started to light the device as he was setting it down on a curb near 3450 West and 4000 South, Fitzgerald said. He was apparently bent over when the fireworks exploded.
Fitzgerald said the fireworks the man had are illegal in Utah, though he didn't know exactly what kind it was. "Anything that explodes and leaves the ground is illegal," he said.