Facebook Twitter

3 arrested near Fillmore after jewelry store robbery

SHARE 3 arrested near Fillmore after jewelry store robbery

Three men were arrested near Fillmore, Millard County, Saturday, just two hours after a well-rehearsed robbery of a Murray jewelry store.

A Utah Highway Patrol trooper pulled the men over for speeding in a Lincoln Towncar on I-15 near Fillmore at 12:50 p.m., UHP Sgt. Ted Tingey said.

At 10:49 a.m. at least four men entered Deseret Jewelry Exchange, 6582 S. State, in Murray, bound the three store employees with plastic ties and stole cash and jewelry, Murray police detective Rob Hall said. The men, armed with handguns and wearing baseball caps, also disabled the store's surveillance equipment.

"They were very systematic and organized in what they did," Hall said. "Each person seemed to know his role and performed his part of the robbery with precision. They were in and out of the store . . . within a matter of minutes."

Two hours after the robbery, a UHP trooper pulled three men over for speeding near Fillmore. None of the men had drivers' licenses and the car was not insured, Tingey said.

As the trooper searched the car, one of the men fled the scene. He was discovered in the area a few minutes later and was taken with the other two men to the Millard County Jail for questioning.

During the search of the car, troopers found a backpack full of jewelry in the trunk and a stolen handgun matching the description of those used in the robbery, Tingey said.

Troopers also found a watch believed stolen from the store owner during the robbery, Tingey said.

"Apparently they'd taken it right off the owner himself," Tingey said.

The backpack contained earrings, bracelets, necklaces, rings and watches made with gold, diamonds and silver.

By Saturday night, police were still trying to determine how much the jewelry was worth.

"It is a substantial amount, I can tell you that," Tingey said. "They're still trying to add up the price tag on everything."

No customers were in the store at the time of the robbery, and none of the three employees was hurt, Hall said.

By Saturday night, Murray police were still looking for a second getaway car and other possible suspects.

E-MAIL: djensen@desnews.com