CHICAGO — A second man has pleaded guilty for his role in stealing $5 million in jewels, gems and watches as part of a theft ring allegedly masterminded by Chicago's former chief of detectives.

Joseph Basinski, 56, pleaded guilty to one count of racketeering conspiracy and one count of conspiracy to bring stolen property across state lines. He faces up to 25 years in prison and a $500,000 fine.

He is one of six men, including former top detective William Hanhardt, who were indicted in October 2000 on federal charges for alleged involvement in the theft ring.

Hanhardt and three co-defendants are scheduled to go on trial in U.S. District Court on Sept. 4. Another defendant, Sam DeStefano, pleaded guilty last week to taking part in the theft ring, which operated in several states.

Basinski will not be sentenced until the end of DeStefano's trial.

In his signed, 31-page plea agreement, Basinski pointed to Hanhardt as the leader of the theft ring. But outside of court, Basinski's attorney Jeffrey Cole said his client has not agreed to testify against Hanhardt during trial.

Last month, the judge turned down a request from Basinksi's attorneys asking him not to admit as evidence a briefcase containing a list of 75 jewelers, among other information.

Cole said the decision to allow the briefcase into evidence played a role in Basinski's decision to plead guilty.