Facebook Twitter

Jordan: Just the fax

M.J.'s plans will not be announced at press conference

SHARE Jordan: Just the fax

WASHINGTON — Michael Jordan will not hold a formal news conference to announce whether he will play in the NBA this season, believing it inappropriate following the terrorist attacks on New York and Washington.

The announcement will be made by some other means, probably via fax, although the means and time are still being determined, said a source close to Jordan, speaking on condition of anonymity and confirming a report in Friday's Washington Post.

On Monday, Jordan said a news conference had been planned for Washington within 10 days at which he would announce his decision. He strongly indicated that he would return from his three-year retirement and play for the Washington Wizards.

The source said Jordan is now in no rush to make his decision and that continually developing national events could change its timing. It is all but certain, however, that he will make his intentions known before Oct. 2, when the Wizards are scheduled to begin training camp in Wilmington, N.C.

Jordan, the team's president of basketball operations, would need to sell his partial ownership stake in the Wizards. Much of the work has already been done to make that process go swiftly should he decide to play.

Jordan remains in Chicago, where he has been training for a possible comeback. He was scheduled to attend a charity dinner and golf tournament in Minnesota this weekend, but that event has been canceled.