Facebook Twitter

4 shot to death in 12 hours

The flurry leaves victims in Pleasant View and in S.L.

SHARE 4 shot to death in 12 hours

In less than 12 hours, four people were slain along the Wasatch Front in three separate incidents Thursday night and Friday morning.

Two of the murders were in Salt Lake City. The other two murders were in Pleasant View. Investigators do not believe the incidents were related.

The victims included a convenience store clerk shot by a robber, a mother and her adult daughter allegedly shot by the daughter's ex-husband, and an unidentified man shot early Friday morning.

In the incident early Friday morning, a man in his early 20s wearing black pants and no shirt was found dead about 6:30 a.m. lying near the gutter on the corner of 500 North and Grant Street (740 West).

"It appears the body was dumped there after he was shot," Salt Lake City police Lt. Jim Jensen said. Glass fragments from a car window were also found near the victim's body.

Investigators also taped off an area about a block and a half away near 800 West and 400 North, where they found shell casings.

Jensen said there was apparently an altercation there between two groups about 5 a.m. At least one resident of the First Step House, 411 N. Grant St., told police he heard a gunshot about that time.

Detectives were still trying to determine Friday morning if the shooting was gang-related, Jensen said.

Thursday about 7:20 p.m., an armed man entered Sunshine Market, 1845 S. 700 East, and demanded money, Salt Lake City Police Sgt. Fred Louis said.

The clerk did everything he was told and gave the gunman money without resisting, Louis said. Nevertheless, the gunman shot the clerk once in the chest after he received the money, Louis said.

Louis called the shooting brazen, saying it's rare that a convenient store clerk is shot after he's complied with all of a gunman's demands.

The clerk's body was discovered about 10 to 15 minutes later by a customer, Lt. Cory Lyman said. The incident was captured on the store's security camera, he said.

Police were looking Friday for a black male, approximately 5-foot-7 with a medium build, Louis said. He was last seen wearing a light-colored athletic shirt, dark pants, a baseball cap and a bandana covering his face.

A cash reward is being offered for anyone with information leading to the arrest of the gunman.

Police had not released the identity of the victim Friday morning pending notification of family members.

In Weber County Thursday night, officers from the Pleasant View City Police Department and the Weber Metro Homicide Task Force were involved in a standoff with a man who had allegedly murdered his ex-wife and her mother.

The incident began about 5:40 p.m. Thursday when the man allegedly kidnapped his ex-wife at gunpoint, Pleasant View Police Chief Scott Jackson said.

The man then took his ex-wife to her parents' house where he allegedly shot her and her mother, Pat Woodruff, about 8 p.m., according to a statement by the Pleasant View Police Department. Woodruff's husband, Wesley, escaped unharmed. The ex-wife's name has not been released.

During the standoff, the man fired at two Pleasant View officers from inside the house, the statement said. Residents in surrounding houses were evacuated, and the man later surrendered without further incident.

Jackson said the shootings involved a long-running family dispute he had responded to in the past.

Kent Tucker, a neighbor and longtime customer of the family's business, Woodruff Auto Service, said the family has been in and out of court recently over the custody of the man's son.

"The guy wouldn't let (the Woodruffs) take his son to San Diego (for vacation)," he said.

Jackson said the boy, who is 6 or 7, is safe.

Jeremy Funk, 31, was booked into the Weber County Jail for investigation of aggravated murder and aggravated kidnapping.

The two shootings in Salt Lake City followed a fatal stabbing Thursday morning that started as a fight outside Club Axis. A 19-year-old man was arrested in that case.

With Friday's shooting, the total number of homicides in Salt Lake City is 16 this year. That number does not include two fatal police-involved shootings.

A year ago at this time there had been 12 slayings in Salt Lake City, said Dave Doepner, planning and development director for the Salt Lake Police Department. In 1995 there were 23 murders by this time of year, he said. The year ended with 27 murders.

Contributing: Associated Press

E-MAIL: preavy@desnews.com ; djensen@desnews.com ; lhancock@desnews.com