SNOWBASIN — Two workers suffered third-degree burns to the head and face, and two others were hurt Saturday in a propane accident at Snowbasin Ski Area.
The four men, contractors preparing the ski area for the 2002 Winter Games, were burned when a live gas line was exposed to a nearby propane heater about 4 p.m.
"They were working on a propane hose, either replacing it or fixing it," said Sgt. J.P. Hansen of the Weber County Sheriff's Office. "I think they thought the gas was shut off and obviously it wasn't."
The flames shot as high as 30 feet into the air, Hansen said.
Two men, in their 20s, were airlifted to the University of Utah Burn Center. Both were expected to be released late Saturday night.
A third man, in his 30s, was transported to a local hospital with second-degree burns to his face. The fourth victim was treated at the scene.
There was no damage to the ski resort.