Facebook Twitter

Orem man is given to 2 life sentences

SHARE Orem man is given to 2 life sentences

PROVO - Citing a life of violent behavior, a 4th District Judge on Thursday sentenced an Orem man to serve two consecutive life sentences for allegedly breaking into a girlfriend's apartment, threatening her mother and sister with a butcher knife and leading police on a high-speed chase through the streets of Orem.

A defense attorney for 24-year-old Wesley Oshley said violent crime had Oshley serving time behind bars by the time he was 17 and begged the court to consider the young man's future. "He's going to spend a great deal of his life in prison," said attorney Brook Sessions, adding if given life in prison, Oshley would likely be 50 by the time he is eligible for parole.

Judge Fred Howard noted that when 17, Oshley was convicted of felony crimes for allegedly kidnapping a 15-year-old girlfriend at knife point in Richfield. Sessions said Oshley was paroled in October of 2000.

One year later, Oshley was arrested in the Orem case, involving another girlfriend. He was found guilty by a jury last October on two first-degree felony counts of aggravated burglary and one third-degree count of failing to stop at the request of an officer.

Police say on Oct. 27, 2001, Oshley, distraught over news that his girlfriend, Rebecca George, had become pregnant and might get an abortion, went to an Orem apartment looking for her. After breaking into the apartment and taking a butcher knife, George's sister testified at trial last October, Oshley held a knife to her throat and tried to kidnap her. After that failed, George's mother testified, Oshley came back to the apartment asking the whereabouts of Rebecca George and then punched the mother in the face three times, breaking her nose and facial bones.

Police say Oshley then tried to flee the scene, leading police on a high-speed chase through Orem, sometimes at speeds up to 100 mph.

Deputy Utah County attorney John Allan also pointed out that Rebecca George had testified at trial that before the incident Oshley had physically abused her and forced her to have sex at knifepoint.

"I view this as an extremely violent crime," Howard said. Oshley showed little emotion as Howard sentenced him to two consecutive life sentences, which are to also run consecutively with his parole violation, stemming from the Richfield case.

E-MAIL: gfattah@desnews.com