clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Fire destroys garage, '41 Cadillac in Orem

OREM — An Orem man working in his garage on Saturday accidentally caused an explosion that burned up his garage and a fully restored 1941 Fleetwood Cadillac, Orem Police Department spokesman Lt. Doug Edwards said.

Edwards said about $220,000 worth of damage was done to the twin home at 929 N. 830 West after the 23-year-old man spilled gasoline from a fuel line on another car inside the garage that housed the Cadillac.

A nearby propane heater ignited the gasoline fumes, and the explosion burned the man on his stomach and forearms and singed his hair, Edwards said.

The Orem Fire department responded within two minutes, Edwards said, and knocked down the fire before it engulfed the rest of the home.