Facebook Twitter

Cowboys kick the Giants in OT battle

SHARE Cowboys kick the Giants in OT battle
Dallas receiver Terry Glenn catches first-half pass against New York's Ralph Brown.

Dallas receiver Terry Glenn catches first-half pass against New York’s Ralph Brown.

Kathy Willens, Associated Press

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Billy Cundiff kicked 35-yard field goal in overtime as the Cowboys defeated the Giants 35-32 early Tuesday morning.

Cundiff connected on a career-long 52-yard field goal as regulation time expired lifting the Cowboys into a 32-32 tie Monday night.

Cundiff's sixth field goal came just 11 seconds after Matt Bryant kicked a 30-yard field goal to give the Giants a seemingly remarkable comeback victory in Bill Parcells' return to the Meadowlands as Dallas' coach.

New York had rallied from a 29-14 fourth-quarter deficit to take the lead.

However, Bryant made a terrible error after his field goal, squibbing the kickoff out of bounds.

That gave Dallas the ball at its own 40-yard line and Quincy Carter hit Antonio Bryant with a 26-yard pass to the Giants 34. Cundiff then just barely cleared the cross bar with his kick.

Kerry Collins threw two fourth-quarter touchdown passes and Tiki Barber ran for a 2-point conversion as the Giants rallied to tie.

Collins flipped a 1-yard scoring pass to tight end Jeremy Shockey to get New York within 29-21 with 9:54 to play and he found Amani Toomer on a 20-yard TD pass with 6:20 to play.

The Giants got three cracks at the 2-point try. Consecutive pass interference calls moved the ball to the half-yard line and Barber ran it into the end zone to tie the game.

Collins also threw a 5-yard touchdown pass to Ike Hilliard in the second half and Ralph Brown returned an interception 29 yards for a touchdown in the first quarter.

Carter scrambled 8 yards for a touchdown and linebacker Al Singleton returned an interception 41 yards for Dallas.

Cundiff had kicked a 42-yard field goal to give Dallas a 23-7 lead early in the third quarter and his 36-yarder with 12:43 to go in regulation gave it a 29-14 lead.

After Brown put New York ahead with a walk-in touchdown, Carter drove the Cowboys 53 yards in seven plays. He threw a 20-yard pass to Terry Glenn early and capped the drive by eluding two tackles in the backfield.

Cundiff gave the Cowboys a 10-7 lead early in the second quarter after Greg Ellis forced a fumble by Barber and Dat Nguyen recovered on the New York 35.

A 21-yard pass from Carter to Joey Galloway set up Cundiff for a 49-yarder. Singleton stretched the lead to 20-7 on the next series. Ellis hit Collins as he threw and Singleton, a resident of nearby Irvington, picked off the fluttering ball and scored without being touched.

Cundiff added a 42-yard field goal to start the third quarter and a 21-yarder on the series after Hilliard's touchdown.

With Luke Petitgout still bothered by back spasms and Ian Allen benched because of a poor performance in the season opener, the Giants became the first NFL team since 1981 to start three rookies on the offensive line.

Jeff Roehl, who played the final three quarters of the season opener against St. Louis after Petitgout was injured, started at left tackle. Chris Bober, in his fourth season, moved from center and replaced Allen at right tackle. Seventh-round draft pick Wayne Lucier took over at center. Fifth-round draft pick David Diehl again started at right guard.