clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Man to stand trial in shooting death of his ex-girlfriend

He's accused of wounding her new beau, too

Trovon Donta Ross talks to investigator for defense team, Carl Hurst, at hearing in Farmington Wednesday.
Trovon Donta Ross talks to investigator for defense team, Carl Hurst, at hearing in Farmington Wednesday.
Pool Photo / Ogden Standard Examiner, Matthew Hatfield

FARMINGTON — Trovon Donta Ross will stand trial on capital murder charges for allegedly gunning down his girlfriend in her bedroom and then chasing her new boyfriend and shooting him.

Second District Judge Darwin Hansen bound Ross over for trial and set Sept. 16 for Ross' arraignment.

Ross, 29, is charged with fatally shooting Annalee Christensen in her Clinton home on June 30. Prosecutors contend he shot her first in the head while she was standing, then twice more in the neck and abdomen while she lay bleeding on the floor.

He also is charged with first-degree felony attempted murder of Christensen's new boyfriend, James Thomas May III, and third-degree felony failure to stop at a police officer's signal.

At a preliminary hearing Wednesday, Ross appeared visibly relaxed most of the time, but at one point during May's testimony, Ross muttered loudly, "He's lying, man!" before being quieted by his attorney. When May was asked to identify the defendant and pointed at Ross, Ross casually raised his hand.

May testified that he and Christensen had been involved in a boyfriend-girlfriend relationship for about a month when Ross came into the house in the early morning and confronted her. At one point, all three were in a hallway with Ross questioning both Christensen and May.

"He was basically trying to demoralize her in front of me," May testified, adding that Ross was quizzing Christensen about sex. "At first, she wasn't responding. That's when he drew the gun."

May said Ross continued to ask Christensen questions, she then began answering and Ross demanded, "Why did you make me draw my gun?"

May said when Ross began asking him whether he had any family in Utah, May began to sense the situation had escalated dangerously. Ross then said to May, "I'm not going to let her hurt you like she hurt me."

May, who grew up in Cleveland and whose mother is a police detective, said he knew when people get a certain look in their eyes that trouble is brewing so he bolted for the door leading to the garage. If he had stayed, "there'd be two people dead, instead of one — I took the chance," May said.

However, May had a Breathalyzer device on his car and because his breathing was so erratic from the excitement he couldn't get the vehicle started. He said he heard three shots, then saw Ross come into view. May said he ran and Ross pursued him and fired three shots, with the third bullet hitting May in the arm and going into his chest.

May said he ran from door to door in the neighborhood seeking help. Soon a female motorist rounded up some help and then police arrived, he said.

Meanwhile, prosecutors contend from police testimony that Ross fled in his van, led police on a chase into a residential area in Layton, then got trapped in a cul-de-sac, ran away on foot and ultimately was caught.