Facebook Twitter

Cigarette starts a fire at motel, injuring 2

SHARE Cigarette starts a fire at motel, injuring 2

MIDVALE — Two people were injured in a fire at a motel late Thursday that was sparked by a cigarette.

At 11:45 p.m. crews were called to Motel 6 near 7200 South and 400 West. When they arrived smoke and flames were already coming from one unit, said Midvale Fire Capt. Jay Thomas.

Two rooms were destroyed in the fire, causing an estimated $50,000 damage. Investigators determined the cigarette of a man who fell asleep in bed while smoking started the fire. That man was treated at a local hospital for minor burns, smoke inhalation and prolonged exposure to the cold, Thomas said.

A second person was also transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation.

About a half dozen people were evacuated from the motel while crews fought the fire.