Facebook Twitter

Timpview tops No. 1 T-wolves

SHARE Timpview tops No. 1 T-wolves
Timpview keeper Lindsey Freeze, right, watches teammate Kellie Woodfield try to clear the ball Thursday.

Timpview keeper Lindsey Freeze, right, watches teammate Kellie Woodfield try to clear the ball Thursday.

Keith Johnson, Deseret Morning News

OREM — Led by senior forward Candice Clark, who scored two goals, Timpview came from behind late to upset top-ranked Timpanogos 3-2 on Thursday, stunning the previously undefeated Timberwolves and advancing to the 4A state soccer semifinals.

The Timpanogos defense, which had allowed only five goals all year long, gave up two scores to the T-Birds in the final minutes of the game, and the Timberwolves fell to a team that they had beaten 11-0 earlier in the year.

"You're thinking, 'How do you get out of an 11-0 loss?' " said Timpview coach Jim Davis. "That was a whole different team than we are right now. Early in the season we were still trying to figure each other out, let alone the other team. We've just been on a nice roll here. We're getting better every game."

Timpanogos jumped out of the gates early with a goal by Noelle Sanders in the 17th minute to give the T-Wolves a 1-0 halftime lead.

In the second half, Clark, playing on her 18th birthday, made some huge plays to put her team back into the contest.

In the 45th, Timpanogos was called for a penalty in the goal box, and Clark made the ensuing penalty kick to tie the game.

Timpanogos regained the lead in the 55th minute on a penalty kick by Shantae Adams, but Clark answered again in the 69th minute, angling a shot into the corner of the goal from 5 yards out to tie the game at 2-2.

Then in the 75th minute, Clark collided with Timpanogos goalkeeper Sutton Cherrington on a lob-pass into the box and, with Cherrington out of the play, the T-Birds' Jessica Harmon took the long rebound and fired a rocket from 30 yards out into the center of the goal to put Timpview ahead.

Clark took a shot to the face on the play and was on the ground for about five minutes before being helped off the field but wasn't seriously injured, and the T-Bird defense held on in the final minutes to preserve the upset.

"We knew that we had the talent to at least play with them," said Davis. "But to come in and beat them on their own field, it was a matter of blocking them out. It was all about putting them out of our mind and focusing on each other."

Timpanogos had won 15 consecutive games before the loss, while Timpview has now won eight of its last nine games after starting out the season with a 1-6 record.

"We didn't come in scared," said Davis. "We'll come back Monday and start focusing for a Friday game."