clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Obituary: Wayne J Ashby

1923 ~ 2004

Wayne J. Ashby passed away at his home in Taylorsville after a lingering illness October 14, 2004.

He was born to John Latham and Mabell Lurina Pickup Ashby on July 14, 1923, in Altonah, Utah. He had resided in Taylorsville for past 23 years and in Ogden, Utah, previously for 26 years.

He is survived by his wife, Jennette, whom he married in the Manti Temple in 1949; five children, Ruthmary (Ron) Nordgren, John Latham Ashby, Arlinda (Kelly) Hansen, David Christian Ashby and Kenneth Robert Ashby; three sisters, Edith Madsen, Geneva Pearson, and Melva (Chris) Sorensen; two brothers, Clarin D. (Margene) Ashby and Francis E. (Joyce) Ashby; two sisters-in-law, Ethel M. Ashby and Arla (Theron) DeMars. He was preceded in death by an infant son, J. Wayne, and two brothers, Evan and Leo. He had 17 grandchildren and five step-grandchildren and numerous great-grandchildren.

As a young man he enjoyed swimming, hunting, fishing and riding horses. Growing up on a farm, he and his brother Evan milked 16 cows by hand every morning before school and in the evening, which he said was the reason he had such a firm handshake. He was a hard worker and one of his mottoes was a "full day's work for a day's wages".

He lost his right leg in a farm accident when only four years old. Living far from a metropolitan area, he spent most of his growing up years on crutches while his artificial limb was mailed away for repairs. At age 29, in another farm accident with a corn picker, the fingers from his right hand were severed. As an airplane mechanic he did not give up but adapted to using tools with his left hand.

He was a life-long member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Over the years he was a diligent and faithful home teacher. Among the numerous Church callings he had were working with the Aaronic Priesthood in a variety of callings, serving in leadership positions in YMMIA and the High Priests' Groups and bishop's counselor in Milpitas, California. He was a stake missionary in two different wards, regional missionary to the Lamanites in Weber and Boxelder Counties and served nearly two years in the mission office in Minnesota Minneapolis Mission.

He was employed by Hill Air Force Base for 27 years as an aircraft engine mechanic and inspector. He took two overseas assignments to Japan and Germany. He also worked at Marquardt Corporation in Ogden, and Lockheed Space and Missile in Sunnyvale, California. For 10 years he worked his own income tax preparation business in addition to working full time at Hill Air Force Base.

Not only did he struggle to live an active, productive life with his physical limitations but he had several medical ailments--heart disease, prostrate cancer, diabetes, arthritis and finally macular degeneration which claimed most of his sight. Because his life was extended many years due to the goodness of the Lord through medical science, it was his wish to donate his body to the University of Utah Medical School to be used in research and study.

In lieu of flowers or other tributes the family suggests that donations be made to the local boy scout troop, the Primary Medical Center, or the charity of your choice.

A memorial service will be conducted at 12:00 noon on Saturday, October 23, 2004, in the Taylorsville 39th Ward, 4932 South 3200 West, Taylorsville, Utah.