Facebook Twitter

Knights explode for big victory over Timpanogos

SHARE Knights explode for big victory over Timpanogos

OREM — After scoring just 82 points in their first eight games, the visiting Lone Peak Knights exploded for a 49-12 victory over Timpanogos Friday on a severely muddy field.

"I thought our kids played well," said Lone Peak coach Monte Morgan. "I don't think we had a turnover, in spite of the weather; that was a key thing for us. I thought our execution was better tonight."

Quarterback Billy Burgess and fullback Douglas Mulliner each scored three touchdowns to lead the Knights. Burgess rushed 9 times for 129 yards and Mulliner gained 100 yards on only 6 carries. On the game's second play, Burgess faked a handoff, ran down the line of scrimmage to his left, made a nice cut upfield and raced 64 yards untouched down the sideline for a touchdown.

"It just opened wide up," said Burgess. "They just went up to the pitch man, I took it and it was wide open. I'm thankful for all the blocking."

Timpanogos lost seven yards on its first possession before punting.

After a facemask penalty on the T-Wolves gave the Knights prime field position, Lone Peak drove 42 yards on five plays for its second score. Burgess plunged into the end zone from one yard out to cap off the drive. Matt Bahr scooped up a bad snap on the PAT and ran it in for a two-point conversion to make it 15-0. Five straight rushes by the Knights culminated with Mulliner's first score of the game, a 10-yard rumble up the middle of the field.

The T-Wolves advanced into Lone Peak territory on their next possession thanks to a 20-yard run by junior Jason Harmon. The drive stalled, though, and Knights linebacker Matt Hurley blocked the subsequent punt.

A 16-yard rush by Mulliner set up Burgess' 27-yard touchdown scamper, extending the lead to 29-0. As he did on his first scoring run, Burgess again faked the handoff, ran left, cut sharply upfield and juked a couple of would-be tacklers.

After another Timpanogos punt, Mulliner ran head-on into a pile of players but amazingly emerged from the fracas still standing and 38 yards later, the apparent "no gain" had turned into a touchdown, Mulliner's second of the game.

The T-Wolves were held to 27 yards of total offense in the first half as the Knights led 36-0. The second half played out very quickly as the officials kept the clock running at all times.

Jerrit Lui got Timp on the board early in the third quarter with a 59-yard touchdown run.

Another touchdown run by Mulliner and a blocked punt recovered in the end zone by Bahr made it 49-6.

With a little over four minutes left in the game and no Lone Peak starters still on the field, Harmon took a short screen pass from Nate Fullmer and dashed 73 yards for a touchdown and the game's final score of 49-12.