STOCKTON — Two workers at the Deseret Chemical Depot were unharmed Saturday after one worker's air line failed while leaving a toxic area.
According to a press release, the two workers were performing toxic operations at the Tooele Chemical Agent Disposal Facility. While leaving the toxic area, one worker could not draw a breath, causing his breathing mask to collapse to his face. The man immediately broke the face piece seal and began breathing clean air from the inside of his pressurized suit. As the two workers made their way to the air lock exit, the worker was able to disconnect the hose between the air backpack and his face piece. He then pulled his arms inside his suit and was able to reconnect the air supply to his mask, depot officials reported.
Officials also reported that the pair had radio communications and had trained for this possible event. The depot is currently destroying munitions related to the powerful nerve agent VX.