SANDY — An 8-year-old boy was in stable condition Wednesday night after he was bitten by a baby rattlesnake.

A Scouting group was hiking on a trail in the mountains when the boys came upon the snake and started playing with it about 7:30 p.m. Wednesday. The snake apparently got irritated and bit the a boy on the finger, Sandy Fire Battalion Chief Don Rosenkrantz said.

The group put the snake in a water bottle and hiked down to 11180 S. Wasatch Blvd., where they met paramedics. The boy went to Alta View Hospital for treatment of a swollen hand.