Facebook Twitter

‘Missing’ nanny now faces charges of inducing panic

SHARE ‘Missing’ nanny now faces charges of inducing panic

The runaway bride who was feared kidnapped faces a misdemeanor charge of inducing panic, according to her parents.

The sheriff's office in Hamilton County, Ohio, filed a warrant Monday for the arrest of West Valley native Rachel Honsvick, who staged her own disappearance.

Nervous about her upcoming wedding, Honsvick got cold feet and ran, said her father, Steve Honsvick. She was supposed to come back to Utah for a planned marriage this month.

The woman's mother, Linda Honsvick, said the family was notified about the charge last night by officials at the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office.

"We understand there are consequences for our choices," Linda Honsvick said. "I wish they would just let us go on. We have enough pieces to pick up without giving us more."

According to Ohio state law, a person can be charged with inducing panic for "initiating or circulating a report or warning of an alleged or impending fire, explosion, crime or other catastrophe, knowing that such report or warning is false." The Hamilton County Sheriff's Office refused to comment about the case.

On May 21, the 22-year-old went for an evening jog and didn't return. She left her cell phone, keys and purse at the Cincinnati home where she had lived as a nanny for nearly 2 1/2 years.

Her parents flew nearly 1,400 miles to Cincinnati to search for their daughter. The Hamilton County Sheriff's Office spent $2,300 in the search and used bloodhounds and helicopters to track down Honsvick.

The Hunter High School graduate showed up at the sheriff's patrol headquarters two days after being reported missing, and the search was canceled. She had been staying at a friend's house in Kentucky.

During the search, police officials tracked Honsvick's recent cell-phone calls. One number had been called several times. That number turned out to be a friend's, the same one she had been staying with in Kentucky.

After the family was reunited, her father told reporters that his daughter thought no one would be searching for her because she was an adult.

The wedding didn't happen, Linda Honsvick said.

E-mail: ldethman@desnews.com