DENVER — A former Qwest Communications executive is negotiating the possible settlement of SEC charges accusing him of hiding $112 million in accounting errors at the telecommunications giant, the man's attorney said.

The Securities and Exchange Commission has accused Michael Felicissimo, 47, of fraud that led to overstated wireless revenues at Qwest.

In a document filed in U.S. District Court this week, defense attorney Jeffrey Springer asked for more time to respond to the SEC civil suit, saying "the parties are engaged in settlement discussions."

Felicissimo is the former chief financial officer of Qwest Wireless. The SEC complaint alleged that between January 2000 and September 2001, the unit improperly recorded revenue from mobile phone accessories that were given to customers for free as an inducement to buy other products and services.

Accountants informed Felicissimo of the errors, but rather than report it to the president of Qwest Wireless or other Qwest executives, he concealed the resulting overstatements and directed others to do the same, the complaint said.

Both the SEC and the Justice Department began investigating Qwest in 2002 on suspicions of inflating revenue through fraudulent transactions with other telecommunications companies.

Qwest has restated its financial results for 2001 and 2002 to lower revenue by about $2.5 billion. A Qwest union official last week said Qwest has tentatively agreed to pay $250 million to settle SEC fraud allegations.

Former chief executive Joe Nacchio, who stepped down in June 2002, has reportedly been notified by the SEC that he may face charges. Nacchio this week denied any misconduct and said he would be vindicated if any civil charges are brought against him.

Two other former Qwest executives reached settlements with the SEC in June: Steven Haggerty, former regional vice president of Qwestlink, a construction business unit of Qwest, and Augustine Cruciotti, a former senior vice president of the unit.

Cruciotti agreed to pay $350,000 to settle charges, while Haggerty agreed to pay $30,000.

Two former Qwest managers were acquitted in April of fraud in an alleged scheme to improperly book nearly $34 million in revenue as part of a 2001 deal to link Arizona public schools to the Internet. A third former manager pleaded guilty to a felony county of accessory after the fact to wire fraud with reckless indifference.

A federal jury deadlocked on charges against fourth former executive, Thomas Hall. A new trial is planned for Oct. 4.