clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

3 Sandy residents treated for monoxide poisoning

SANDY — Three people were taken to LDS Hospital to be treated for carbon monoxide poisoning early Saturday.

About 5 a.m., the Unified Fire Authority was summoned to a home near 7800 S. 1700 East after one of the residents complained of flu-like symptoms and said a teenager there had fainted.

Firefighters, upon entering the home, measured carbon monoxide levels to be about 600 parts per million, which is extremely high, said UFA spokesman Jay Torgersen.

Carbon monoxide bonds more easily to red blood cells than does oxygen, Torgersen said, meaning the body doesn't get enough oxygen.

Because cold weather is setting in, people should buy carbon monoxide detectors — and have their furnaces checked, Torgersen said.