clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Blaze fails to shut down Lindon firm

LINDON — What began as a holiday disaster is turning into a miracle of sorts for the Sunroc plant in Lindon.

The Thanksgiving Day fire that appeared to have engulfed the factory, which manufactures building trusses and garage doors, did not cause nearly as much damage as initially feared, and Sunroc officials say the plant should be in operation by midweek.

"We are very close to being back up and running, if not at 100 percent capacity then close to it, within a couple days," said Brent Smith, vice-president of Clyde Companies Inc., the parent company of Sunroc.

"We're going to be there for our customers — there might be a little bit of a delay, but we'll be there," he said. "In the end, it won't be much more than the delay we might get with a heavy snowstorm."

Smith said the fire caused severe damage in the northwest part of the building, near the garage door manufacturing area but did not harm the truss manufacturing equipment and did not touch the office area, where records and operating programs are kept.

"The fire department did a good job containing the blaze and keeping it away from that part of the building," Smith said.

Electricity and natural gas to the building will likely be off for the remainder of the week, but employees were back in the office area on Monday morning, working with the aid of a temporary generator.

Smith said a second generator, to power the truss manufacturing equipment, would be in place Monday evening.

The Clyde Companies put together a crisis management team Friday morning, which made a list of everything that needed to be done and then went to work.

"We've got a lot of great employees willing to jump back in and do what needs to be done," Smith said.

Early estimates for the fire's damage are roughly $500,000, Smith said. The blaze destroyed 11 pickup trucks, a forklift, and about 50 garage doors waiting to be assembled.

There was also significant structural damage to the building in the northwest area, and the showroom area suffered minor smoke and water damage.

Engineers are still working to assess the full extent of the fire's impact. Smith said fire officials told him because fire crews had to move smoldering debris from the area where the fire began in the process of battling it, investigators are unable to determine an exact cause.