clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Crucial issues, races on the ballot today

Voters across the state today will mark their ballots in an assortment of municipal races, with mayors' and city council seats up for grabs in many cities.

In some cities, voters will be faced with various ballot propositions, from whether to allow a controversial big-box development in Sandy to allowing fluoride water in Tooele.

In most counties, polls will be open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.

In Salt Lake County, voters in any of the 12 cities that contract with the county for elections — that's most county cities, barring Holladay, South Salt Lake and Alta — can visit to find out exactly where to vote and what the issues are. Just enter your address, and the Web site will tell you your polling place and show you a sample ballot.

In most places, polling locations have not changed from last year. But if you're unsure, you can also call the clerk's office at 468-3427.

Salt Lake County Clerk Sherrie Swensen said she expects inconsistent turnout throughout the county.

"City to city it varies greatly," she said. "In the primary, Bluffdale had a 36 percent turnout, and there was another city that had like 5."

Overall, about 10 percent of the county's voters showed up for the primaries. Swensen said the general election should bring a higher turnout.

"I think it will be — I hope," she said. "My word, this is down to a lot of important decisions to be made."

But even if turnout is the 20 percent Swensen hopes for, that's still low enough that most voters can expect to cast their ballot pretty quickly, she said.

Voting information is available at a variety of places. Sample ballots were included in notices in most local papers Sunday. You can also get information at the following places:

In Davis County, visit or call (801) 451-3324.

In Weber County, visit or call 801-399-8400.

In Utah County, visit or call 801-851-8600 and ask for the clerk's office.

In Tooele County, visit or call 435-843-3140.

In Summit County, visit or call 435-336-3203.

In Wasatch County, visit or call 435-657-3190.

In Washington County, call 435-634-5712.

Some special service districts, such as sewer districts, school districts or improvement districts, will also hold elections. Check with your district to find out whether there will be an election and the location of polling places.