PROVO — A Santaquin man has been bound over for trial in 4th District Court on charges that he raped a 14-year-old girl who was staying at his residence after she ran away from a Provo group home.
Judge Lynn Davis made the ruling Wednesday night following a preliminary hearing.
Jimmy Santiago, 21, is charged with two first-degree felony counts of rape, along with a forcible sex abuse charge, that stem from an alleged rape of a young girl who was staying at his mobile home in Santaquin.
At the hearing, the now 15-year-old girl testified that she ran away from the home and went to stay with Santiago, whom she knew through a friend. She said that she was forced to sign a "contract," in which she agreed to follow all the orders of the men in the house, or she would be kicked out.
Over the course of three days, Santiago raped her twice and once threw her naked into the shower with another man, she told the court.
She said she didn't leave immediately because she was scared and didn't have any other place to go. When she finally left on April 12, she turned herself in to the police. She said she didn't initially think she had been raped.
"My definition of rape is somebody meets you on the street and hurts you and then eventually kills you," she said. "That's my definition of rape."
Responding to questions from defense attorney Dusty Kawai, the girl said the sex was not consensual and that she told Santiago "stop," at least three times.
Santiago is scheduled to enter a plea to the charges at a hearing on Sept. 21 at 10 a.m.