clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

McNabb sits out practice

Eagles' QB says bruised chest won't keep him from game

Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb laughs during Wednesday's practice. He didn't work out because of a bruised chest.
Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb laughs during Wednesday's practice. He didn't work out because of a bruised chest.
H. Rumph Jr, Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA — Donovan McNabb didn't practice Wednesday because of a bruised chest, but the five-time Pro Bowl quarterback said he'll play in Philadelphia's home opener against San Francisco on Sunday.

"Nothing will stop me from being on that field," said McNabb, who was injured in the first quarter in the Eagles' 14-10 season-opening loss at Atlanta on Monday night.

McNabb didn't miss any plays after a crushing hit from Chad Lavalais sent him wincing to the sideline, but he struggled the rest of the game against the Falcons.

McNabb, coming off his best season, threw one interception, lost two fumbles, and often missed his target with erratic passes. He finished 24-of-45 for 257 yards and one touchdown.

"I don't want to make excuses," McNabb said. "I just didn't do my job the way I'm used to."

Backup Koy Detmer and third-string quarterback Mike McMahon shared reps at practice in McNabb's absence, but Eagles coach Andy Reid wouldn't say which player would start if needed. McNabb is listed as questionable.

"We'll see as the week goes on," Reid said. "I'll evaluate it and see what we want to do with it."

Detmer has started eight games in his nine-year career, and has maintained his status as the backup because he's the holder for Pro Bowl kicker David Akers.

McMahon started seven games in four seasons with Detroit before signing with the Eagles in the offseason. He outperformed Detmer in the preseason.

RAVEN SIGN STEWART: Kordell Stewart worked diligently to stay in shape this summer, hopeful some NFL team would give him the opportunity to extend his career.

His effort was rewarded Wednesday. The Baltimore Ravens signed Stewart to play behind Anthony Wright, who will replace an injured Kyle Boller as the starter Sunday against the Tennessee Titans.

Stewart, 32, is a perfect fit with the Ravens. The 10-year veteran served as their backup last season while Wright recovered from shoulder surgery, and although Stewart never threw a pass, he is quite familiar with the Baltimore offense.

"It's the logical choice," coach Brian Billick said. "Kordell was great for us last year. A great team member, understands the role. Hopefully there's enough carry-over for him, verbiagewise, that he can adjust quickly. It's a nice comfort zone having him back."

The Ravens are also comfortable with Wright as their starter. Billick said the game plan for Tennessee won't be altered much with Wright taking the snaps instead of Boller, who hyperextended his right big toe in the opening 24-7 loss to Indianapolis.

"One of the nice things about Kyle and Anthony is they have similar attributes," Billick said. "They're both active in the pocket, they both have strong arms, they both move around decently, so we don't have to change a whole lot."

It also helped that Wright got to play the final 20 minutes against the Colts.

"The good thing about it is we've practiced with Anthony," wide receiver Derrick Mason said. "He got an opportunity to play in the second half. It's not like we're in Week 9 or 10 and all of a sudden you throw him in there."

RAMS EXEC REPRIMANDED: An executive with the St. Louis Rams will be reprimanded for leaving a threatening phone message on the voice mail of a St. Louis Post-Dispatch columnist.

The Rams told the Post-Dispatch that team executive Samir Suleiman faces discipline, but declined to say what it would be. A call to the Rams on Wednesday was not returned.

"It's shocking that he would leave a message like that," Rams president John Shaw told the Post-Dispatch. "It's the type of behavior that we don't condone at any level. He will be reprimanded, and it will be handled internally."

On Aug. 28, sports columnist Bernie Miklasz wrote that he was disturbed by "infighting and politics" within the Rams organization, and said executives owe any head coach their support.

"Be it (Mike) Martz or another man, I don't care who sits in the head coach's office at Rams Park. The head coach should be backed, not back-stabbed, by associates," Miklasz wrote.

Suleiman left a message on Miklasz's voice mail, stating, in part, "tell your source that I'm not a back-stabber, I'm a (expletive) throat slasher, and he'll know the difference before it's all said and done."

Suleiman, director of football administration, has worked for the Rams for six years. He assists president of football operations Jay Zygmunt on salary cap issues and contract negotiations.

Shaw said the phone message showed "a lack of judgment. I really don't understand it, to be honest with you."