clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Second trial postponed in child sex abuse case

Aaron Montoya
Aaron Montoya

OGDEN — A second trial has been postponed for a Primary teacher who was convicted last month of four counts of aggravated sexual abuse of a child.

During a pre-trial conference Thursday, attorneys for both sides agreed to strike Aaron Montoya's Oct. 5 trial date, when he was scheduled to be tried on two counts of aggravated sexual abuse of a child.

Instead, deputy Davis County attorney Troy Rawlings wants to wait until after Montoya's Sept. 26 sentencing in Farmington on the earlier conviction.

Rawlings said he will ask 2nd District Judge Thomas Kay to sentence Montoya to three consecutive and one concurrent five-to-life terms in prison. He expects Montoya's attorney, Ed Brass, to ask that all four sentences run concurrently.

Another pretrial conference was scheduled for Sept. 29, which will give attorneys on both sides a few days after Montoya's sentencing to assess the situation and decide how to proceed, Rawlings said.

Montoya was convicted in August of sexually abusing three girls in his LDS Church Primary class while he was the lone teacher in the room.

Three girls in the class testified during the trial that Montoya had touched them under their skirts.