CHICAGO (AP) — A boy falsely accused of killing an 11-year-old girl seven years ago agreed Monday to settle his lawsuit against the city and two police detectives for $6.2 million, a judge announced.
The settlement, which still must be approved by the City Council, came less than a week after the council ordered city lawyers to settle the matter. A trial in the case began several weeks ago.
"The parents were satisfied with it and after seven years they wanted to get this behind them," said Andre Grant, an attorney representing the now 15-year-old boy.
Grant said at least some of the money would be spent on therapy and counseling for the boy.
Earlier this year, the city agreed to a $2 million settlement with the family of another boy also falsely accused in the 1998 murder of Ryan Harris.
The girl's slaying made national headlines after the two boys, then 7 and 8, became the youngest murder suspects in the United States at the time. It took almost a month before the boys were cleared after tests showed semen on the girl's clothing could not have come from them.