clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Injured Orem hiker is rescued

PROVO CANYON — The rescue of an injured Orem hiker who was carried off Mount Timpanogos Monday took seven hours.

The Timpanogos Emergency Response Team was the first to help the 17-year-old boy, who suffered an ankle injury. TERT helped the boy halfway down the mountain, where they were met by a search-and rescue team of the Utah County Sheriff's Office.

That team delivered the boy to his mother, who was waiting at the Aspen Grove trailhead, said Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Darrin Gilbert.

The boy started his hike about 3 a.m. with two others, Gilbert said.

The boy's brother and friend were not injured and were able to help the injured boy to TERT's shelter before he was brought off the mountain.

TERT is a group of volunteers who monitor Timpanogos Mountain trails and respond to accidents.

In Salt Lake, a Life Flight helicopter lifted two hikers who were lost overnight to safety Monday after people in the valley heard a signal for help on a two-way radio.

A father, 44, and his 16-year-old son had been hiking in the Deaf Smiths Canyon area between Big and Little Cottonwood canyons when they became disoriented and stranded upon nightfall Sunday, said Salt Lake County Sheriff's Sgt. Todd Griffiths.

"They sheltered up there for the night and weathered a pretty grisly storm with thunder and lightning," he said.

The duo had been lost nearly 24 hours when they were rescued.

"Their provisions ran out, and when they began feeling the symptoms of being dehydrated, they began using those little hand-held walkie-talkies to call for help," Griffiths said.

Workers at Glover Nursery in West Jordan heard their call from a two-way radio in the store and notified police.

Griffiths said police obtained similar walkie-talkies from one of the deputy's homes and were able to establish contact with the hikers on a common frequency.

"All they could tell us is that they were somewhere above Sandy," he said, noting a language barrier with the Hispanic hikers. Police continued talking with the hikers as they guided a helicopter to the location where they were believed to be.

Because the area was rugged, ground crews were unable to respond. However, a helicopter dropped medical personnel on the peak and hoisted the hikers out one by one.

The hikers suffered some dehydration and exhaustion symptoms, but after getting drinks and some food at their drop-off point, at a Park-and-Ride location near 9000 South and Wasatch Drive, they signed a medical release and were able to return home without additional medical assistance.