A fire caused heavy damage to a house being remodeled Wednesday morning.

The fire started just before 9 a.m. in the kitchen of a house near 3300 South and 3100 East. When crews arrived they found heavy smoke and flames shooting out the back of the house, said Unified Fire Authority spokesman Jay Torgersen.

One man inside the house was able to get out safely. Firefighters were able to find the man's small dog and carry it out. The dog was then taken across the street to a nearby veterinary clinic to be treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

The man was constructing a large addition to his house in the back. A lot of lumber and other building supplies were near the house.

Investigators determined the homeowner was getting ready to put down a subfloor that morning and decided to warm construction adhesive up in the oven, Torgersen said.

The adhesive caught fire, however, and it spread from there. Damage to the house was estimated at $70,000.

Firefighters called for a second alarm upon arrival because of the heavy volume of smoke. But once crews got a better assessment of the situation they were able to put the fire out in 15 minutes, he said.

One firefighter suffered minor injuries when he slipped and fell in one of the areas under construction.