PLEASANT GROVE — Despite scoring 80 points in a 19-point win over Lone Peak on Wednesday, Pleasant Grove boys basketball coach Randy McAllister seemed to only remember his teams' defensive stops, especially in the third quarter following the game.

The Vikings led 39-35 at halftime and went on a 13-1 run to end the period to cruise to the 80-61 Region 4 victory over last year's 4A state champions.

"We had about seven straight possessions where we got stops in the third quarter," McAllister said. "We really stepped up our defense tonight. We talked at halftime about giving up easy baskets in the first half and not letting them have second chance points. I think half their points were in transition off turnovers."

Greg Thurgood led Pleasant Grove in scoring with 15 points while LeSean Wilcox had 14, Matt Hardman 11 and Tallon Robertson 10.

"Every kid came in and contributed," McAllister said. "For the first time this year we played 32 minutes of good basketball. That is what I am excited about"

After a nip-and-tuck first half, Hardman scored the five points of the third quarter for the Vikings to up their lead to 44-35, forcing Lone Peak to call a timeout.

The timeout didn't do Lone Peak any good as the closest they would come the rest of the game was six points midway through the third quarter.

Leading 48-42, Pleasant Grove closed out the quarter on its 13-1 run to lead 61-43 at the end of the third.

The biggest lead of the game for the Vikings was 22 points in the final quarter.

The first half was a see-saw battle as both teams exchanged leads through out the first two quarters. In the first quarter, the lead changed hands five times. Lone Peak led 18-16 at the end of the opening period.

The Knights jumped out to a five point lead at 21-16 to open the second quarter after Ryan Rios hit a 3-pointer less than a minute in.

PG climbed back and tied the game at 25 following a 3-pointer by Thurgood with 5:48 left until halftime. Lone Peak regained a four-point lead at 29-25 a minute later.

The Vikings then retook the lead at 32-29 with 2:44 left in the half following baskets by Thurgood, Robertson and Wilcox.

Lone Peak countered the 7-0 run and regained the lead at 35-34 before PG scored the final five points to take the four-point lead at halftime.

Tyler Haws led Lone Peak with 11 points.