LONDON — Didier Drogba spun and scored on a rising 20-yard shot late in the first half Sunday, leading Chelsea past Liverpool 1-0 in an English Premier League game attended by Tiger Woods.

The Ivory Coast striker settled a long ball from Frank Lampard in the 42nd minute, then swirled and drove a shot past Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina.

Woods led the cheers from a front-row seat at Chelsea's Stamford Bridge stadium. He is competing in the upcoming Ryder Cup in Ireland and is a friend and golf partner of Chelsea striker Andriy Shevchenko.

Chelsea has 12 points from five games while Liverpool has only four from four games.

Dirk Kuyt and Steven Gerrard squandered several opportunities for Liverpool. The Reds also had a man advantage from the 51st minute when Michael Ballack was sent off for stomping on Liverpool's Mohamed Sissoko.

After Chelsea controlled the first 15 minutes, Kuyt was in position to give Liverpool the lead when his 16th-minute shot went off the crossbar behind Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech.

With the man advantage, Liverpool also could have equalized in the 68th. Gerrard broke in alone but shot directly into Cech, who was sprawled on the ground.

Arsenal won its first league game of the season by beating Manchester United 1-0 on Emmanuel Adebayor's 85th-minute goal. Cesc Fabregas stole the ball at midfield from Cristiano Ronaldo, and then threaded the ball through to Adebayor, who slipped it under Man United goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak.

The loss, before a record crowd of 75,595, kept United from staying in first place, which is now held by surprising Portsmouth. It was Man United's first loss in the league after four wins, and Arsenal's first victory in its fourth league game.

Blackburn got goals from Morten Gamst Pedersen, Benni McCarthy and Paul Gallagher in its 4-2 win over Manchester City. Each team got an own-goal from the other while Joey Barton scored for Man City.

Former U.S. goalkeeper Brad Friedel started for Blackburn, and DaMarcus Beasley came on as a substitute for City in the 34th. Claudio Reyna stayed on City's bench.